No sales people, just honest advice        0191 252 9960 

Follow Us:


Frequently asked questions about The Green Deal Government Scheme

Q How does the green deal work?

A You can make energy-saving improvements to your home or business without having to pay all the costs up front through the Green Deal.

Energy-saving improvements include:

  • insulation - e.g. loft or cavity wall insulation
  • heating
  • draught-proofing
  • double glazing
  • renewable energy technologies - e.g. solar panels or wind turbines

Q What do I need to do?

  1. A The first thing you need to do is get an assessment to see what improvements you can make and how much you could save on your energy bills. An assessor will come and inspect your property, and discuss your energy use.They will give you a Green Deal Advice Report - this will explain what improvements you can make and estimate how much you could save on your energy bills.
  2. The next step is to choose a Green Deal provider to carry out the work. You discuss with them what work you want done and whether the Green Deal is right for you. If you choose to go ahead with the improvements you must sign your Green Deal Plan this is a contract between you and the provider stating what work will be done and how much it will cost. The provider will then arrange for a registered Green Deal installer to do the work

Q How is the work paid for?

A You will pay the money back through your electricity bill. This is so that the Green Deal stays with the property i.e. If you move, you no longer benefit from the improvements and therefore stop paying for them.

If you have a prepayment meter, a small amount will be taken from the meter each day instead.

Q How much will it cost?

A The amount you repay for Green Deal improvements is based on what a typical household or business is expected to save on energy bills by having the work done.
The cost will be shown on your Green Deal Plan (the contract between you and the provider), and will include the interest rate.

Most improvements should reduce your heating bill because you ll be using less electricity, gas or oil - but the actual savings depend on your energy use and the future cost of energy.

Q Can I get help with costs?

A If you re on benefits, a low income or live in an old property, you may be able to get help with costs.

Contact the Energy Saving Advice Service 0300 123 1234

Q What happens if I move house?

A If you move into a property with a Green Deal, the landlord or seller must show you a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate - this will explain what improvements have been made and how much you ll need to repay.

The person who pays the electricity bill pays the money back - so if you re a tenant in a rented property, you ll be paying back the costs, not the landlord. This is because the tenant can expect to benefit from lower energy costs.

You can change electricity supplier, but only if the new supplier is participating in the Green Deal.

Q How long will the work take?

A This depends on the measures recommended; your green deal installer will advise you of timescales involved.

Q What is the cash back scheme I've read about?

A You may be able to claim back money from the government if you make energy saving improvements to your home under the Green Deal.

The scheme will run for a limited period, and is available for householders (e.g. home-owners, tenants etc.) in England and Wales. Landlords are eligible if they pay for installation.